Monday, October 09, 2006

Pear Cream Cheese Squares

The other day my aunt gave me a big bag of pears from the tree in her backyard. I don't know what kind they are but they were a little smaller than grocery store pears and very green. I knew they would go to good use.

As luck would have it, I was invited to dinner and knew there would be a large number of people there. I thought the pears were perfect for an autumn dessert so I replaced them for apples in a Wanda's recipe - Pear Cream Cheese Squares.

These squares have a few steps but the end result is worth it. Soft cooked pears sit atop a sweetened cream cheese layer and is surrounded by a wonderful buttery crust. It's the perfect dessert when you want something cheesecakey or pie-like but don't want to make a whole one. The cream cheese layer is soft and almost custard-like. All the flavours and textures combine well to make a wonderful square. They're tasty warm, room temperature or cold and the longer you let them stand, the cleaner the cuts you'll get. I have made both pear and apple and like them equally. They're great!

Recipe: Pear Cream Cheese Squares

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummmmmmmmmmmm....this looks delightful.

Brilynn said...

I've been getting a pear supply from a friend of mine with a pear tree (that will come to an end now that we're getting snow) but this would have been the perfect use for them.

Anonymous said...

Anything with cream cheese is a hit in my book.