Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Easy Chocolate Snacking Cake

Lately, my boys have suddenly been very keen to bake with me. "Can I break the egg?" and "Let me stir!" are constant phrases that I hear in the kitchen. I'm happy that they want to take part in something I enjoy so we work together even if it means that some flour gets spilled on the floor or the counters get splattered with batter.

Today after school the request was for chocolate mousse cake. Unfortunately, I did not have the required ingredients for it so we settled on plain ol' chocolate snacking cake. We read the ingredients, gathered them all and started. I find that by giving my children individual jobs, they feel like they're contributing and creating at the same time. First, grease the pan. Second, measure the buttermilk and so forth. After pouring our chocolatey batter into the pan, we waited patiently for it to finish. When I pulled the cake out of the oven, my son was beaming and I said to him, "Wow! Your first cake! We'll call it H's Special Chocolate Cake." A priceless moment.

So hopefully, they've got the baking bug now. Trust me when I say that the recipe is child- friendly. The cake is very good and is super moist. It is made in a 9 x 13-inch pan so there's plenty for sharing. I dusted the cake with icing sugar but you can ice it if you like and don't forget to add some sprinkles too!

Recipe: Easy Chocolate Snacking Cake

8 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

This cake looks so light and fluffy, with a beautiful color. I love the recipe, I've never made chocolate cake with water!

I'm so glad your kids enjoy baking now, because you are a wonderful baker!

Brilynn said...

My nephew loves to pretend cook and bake, he's not even 3 yet but when I talk to him on the phone he tells me what he's making for dinner. I asked him for a recipe and he told me quite frankly that it was really easy to make dinner with noodles, vanilla and rosemary.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Terrific baking with boys. I always loved it when my boys wanted to help in the kitchen even if it was more clean up work. Let me assure you it is worth the effort! Everytime they cook for me or I cook with them I bless the days we spilled all over the floors!
Great looking cake!

RC said...

Little jobs so they feel like they're contributing eh, like buttering the pan? Hmm! I remember when that was my job! Now I know why - hee hee.
Looks delicious!!

Canadian Baker said...

Thanks everyone for your great comments!

RedCat - Well, buttering the pan is the most important job and I HAD to give it to you!! Shhh, don't tell H you think it is grunt work - he thinks it is fun! :) xoxox

Helene said...

This cake looks so moist and dark...Nice
BTW: I am tagging you for the 5 Things Meme

Anonymous said...

In holidays with my children I'll try it. We will have a few days to clean the kitchen...
thanks for this recipe.

Unknown said...

Hi,this seems good. I am very much into baking let me know if you need my help:)