Thursday, March 09, 2006

Quick Little Dinner Buns

Last night we were having lentil soup for dinner and I wanted to make some sort of bread to go with them for dunking. Since it was already late, I didn't have time to do yeast rolls so I decided to go with a savoury drop biscuit. As I was looking for a quick recipe I came across these buns.

They are baked in a muffin tin but aren't really muffins, nor are they rolls. I thought they looked easy enough to whip up quicky and, as I read the ingredients, I realized there was no fat (butter or oil) or eggs included but there was mayonnaise. Wow. I wondered if they would turn out decent so I tried them out exactly as the recipe stated. Well, was I pleasantly surprised. They baked up fantastic! They were not bland and had a fluffy texture while the outside remained crisp. They really are great with soup and the can easily be jazzed up with cheese, finely chopped parsley, a dash of chili powder...whatever you may fancy. The recipe is from The Clueless Baker and since the recipe is short, I'll post it here until I get an archive up and running.

Quick Little Dinner Buns

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups milk
6 tbsp mayonnaise

Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the milk and mayonnaise. Stir with a fork until everything is blended and mixture is smooth. Spoon into well-greased (or paper-lined) muffin pan, filling the cups about 2/3 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the tops are lightly browned.
Remove from pan, let cool and serve slightly warm.
Makes 8-10 quick little buns.

No comments: