Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Ice Cream Sandwiches

One thing I've noticed is that when I try to bake and carry on a conversation at the same time the end result is not pretty. The other day Elizabeth and I were baking cookies that I had successfully made before. (Click here for recipe.) We thought it would be a snap but somewhere along time line something got mismeasured and we ended up with frisbee cookies - ultra flat cookies studded with chocolate chips that almost poked through the dough. I'm sure there are some of you out there who know what I mean.

As we looked at the disaster and asked "What happened?", I knew it was because I wasn't paying attention. I've come to the conclusion I'm a solitary baker and I need to really focus on the task at hand otherwise chaos ensues. (Plus it totally wrecks my cred as a competent baker) Sigh.

No worries though. With a little Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream we soon had some yummy ice cream sandwiches to snack on. The cookies were actually perfect for this - thin, chewy and able to hold the ice cream without breaking. Everyone ate these up and that is how I turned a not-so-perfect cookie into something cool and refreshing and restored my rep - all thanks to Breyers.

6 comments:

jasmine said...

What a great save!

j

Canadian Baker said...

Thanks Jasmine!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,

You know you make a great point here. I'm with you completely. I need to bake alone so that I can concentrate.

But as you discovered, ice cream can save anything. Well done!

HappySlob said...

Very clever way to save the day! :) These look really great as they are and I bet they tasted amazing. I'm one who believes firmly that cookies are only improved with the addition of ice cream somewhere.

Just found your blog - really love it.

Christina

Canadian Baker said...

Thanks Ivonne! You can never go wrong with ice cream!

Christina - Thank you! I'm glad you stopped by. :)

Kristina said...

I too screw things up big time--in the past I have invited people over to bake with me but find that it's not a great activity to do with others--you start chatting and lose track of things, and your timing can be off! Regardless, those ice cream sandwiches are mouth watering, they have been my favorite frozen treat since I was a kid (they sell huge ones at Canada's Wonderland and I have to get one every time I go....)