Thursday, August 03, 2006

Banana Chocolate Chip Cake

Not all banana cakes are made equal. This version from Canadian Living is moist, delicious and could be used for any special occasion. The secret is adding orange rind into the batter. This infuses the cake but does not take away from the banana flavour - it enhances it. Add some chocolate chips to the mix and wow! A great cake for snacking and sharing.

You can add the icing as it says in the recipe or just leave it plain with a light dusting of icing sugar. Of course, you can leave out the rind if you wish or add nuts - most add-ins will work in this cake. The recipe makes a lot of cake and it travels well so why not try it for your next picnic or potluck?

Recipe: Banana Chocolate Chip Cake

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a thing of beauty!

Anonymous said...

*melts into a puddle* banana and chocolate, such a luxurious and wonderful combo. I'm going to have to link to this from my blog. *wistful sigh*

Canadian Baker said...

Invonne - Thank you!

MiltonMama - You alwAYs know just what to say! I'm glad you like it.

Heather - I too like chocolate and banana. :)

Anonymous said...

I made this cake - flour amount in the recipe is waaaay too much, not enough banana (and sugar for my taste). I will try again though as this is an exciting cake ;-)

Canadian Baker said...

Meecee - Thanks for the feedback. I find that Canadian desserts have less sugar than those from America. I think adding some more wouldn't hurt at all. Also, if you're using regular flour remove a tablespoon per cup to make it more like cake-and-pastry flour. It might help make the cake more light. Tweaking recipes to suit your taste is part of the fun of baking. Let me know how further attempts go for you!

Anonymous said...

I made this again today, I used just 3 cups of flour, and 1,5 cups of sugar and 4 bananas. The result is a like a little piece of heaven! Mosit inside, the orange and the chocolate make a perfect match! I live in Hungary and I follow your blog week by week :-)