Friday, September 22, 2006

SHF 23 - Chocolate Caramel Cookies

The theme of SHF this month is Surprise Inside hosted by Alanna at A Veggie Adventure.
The guidelines said you could use a surprise ingredient for your treat but I interpreted it quite literally - I wanted to make something with a surprise inside.

I decided to make Chocolate Caramel Cookies, a recipe I first tried years ago. I liked them but they were not my favourite. I gave them another try and made one adjustment by reducing the amount of cocoa powder and what a difference it made!

Before, I thought the cookies were a little bitter but, with only 1/3 cup of cocoa powder, I got a fudgy, brownie-like cookie that surrounds a square of Caramilk bar. Straight from the oven, the caramel if gooey and warm and succeptible to running down your chin. Once firm, as in the picture, the caramel still stays soft and the cookie is delectable as ever. They got the thumbs-up in my house and I would not hesitiate to make them again. Hopefully, I will have more to share next time! Thanks for hosting Alanna - your theme was truly original!

Recipe: Chocolate Caramel Cookies

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look at that oozing caramel! How could I not like these and not want to eat them all up?!

Alanna Kellogg said...

Hi Jen ~ I bet people will be all over this recipe, especially now that you've perfected it so beautifully! Thanks for playing along with Surprise Inside, look for the round-up of all the surprising recipes later today! Alanna

christine said...

Oh my goodness, heaven in a cookie!

Canadian Baker said...

Thanks for the nice comments everyone!!

Josie said...

I have a Perugina caramel chocolate bar just sitting around...I think I now know what I'm going to do with it!

Jason said...

Thhanks for this