Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Chocolate Malted Whopper Drops

Do you like Maltesers - those crunchy chocolate-covered balls of yumminess? If you do, then these cookies are made for you.

These Whopper (or Malteser) Drops are hearty, chocolatey cookies filled with bittersweet chocolate, malt balls, malt powder and cocoa. They are intense and slightly cakey but wholly satisfying.

If you're wondering about malt powder, you can substitute Ovaltine, a powdered drink mix. When I was younger I tried hot Ovaltine and thought it was pretty much the anti-hot chocolate but, as I've grown, I have come to see the benefit of this malty beverage. I still don't drink it but, its esteem has risen in my eyes since I can bake with it.

Also, try to find bittersweet chocolate. It gives the cookies a certain 'poshness' that semi sweet chocolate would not be able to. The bitterness goes well with the malt and sweetness of the balls. When I make these again I would leave the Maltesers whole since they sort of disappeared in the cookie dough. Try them out - they're not pretty but they're good!

Recipe: Chocolate Malted Whopper Drops

5 comments:

Jennywenny said...

I made these on Sunday. Mmmm! If you have access to the english maltesers they would be interesting to try with them!

I agree about the chocolate. That would temper the sweetness a little, they were very sweet!

Patricia Scarpin said...

I'm glad I can use Ovaltine instead (I can find it here). These cookies look irresistible, Jen!

Maggie M. said...

I really like Ovaltine. I just saw it in the Asian grocery the other day and it reminded me of my Grammie, who used to make me Ovaltine every time I went to her house :) I think I might try subbing it for chocolate in a few recipes.

kickpleat said...

those look great! i haven't had whoppers or ovaltine in years, but love them! yum.

Anonymous said...

the taste of chocolate is a sensual pleasure in itself, existing in the same world as pleasure... For myself, I can enjoy the wicked pleasure of chocolate... entirely by myself. Furtiveness makes it better.


"I love chocolate. Have you ever seen a chocolate fountain? It is wonderful! Check this out.."

http://www.sarahs-sweet-fountains.co.uk