Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Blueberry Crumble Bars

Here's another blueberry recipe to try out. Blueberry crumble bars are exactly what the name implies - juicy blueberries nestled underneath a sweet brown sugar crumble. If you're looking for a dessert the is reminiscent of blueberry pie without actually having to make one, this may be for you.

The bar consists of a brown sugar crust which is simply mixed in a bowl. The blueberry filling is easy to pull together since the fruit requires no cutting, peeling or slicing. Wash, toss and you're done. The crumble is my favourite part of the whole bar. I love the sugary crunchiness it imparts which goes well with the juicy berries. In less than an hour, you have a pretty tasty treat.

Overall, I give these bars a thumbs up. The only issue I have is with the crust which I found to be very thin. When patting it into the pan, I had barely enough to cover the whole bottom. Call me old fashioned but I like a substantial crust that holds the filling without falling apart. If I had doubled the recipe maybe I would have got what I wanted but no matter. I also found the texture of the crust to be crunchy in a maple candy sort of way. A little bit grainy. It was by no means inedible and would have probably tasted fabulous crumbled on top of creamy vanilla ice cream.

Recipe: Blueberry Crumble Bars

11 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I love that gorgeous recipe! Delicious!

Cheers,

Rosa

Deetsa said...

This looks greatly like my mother's blueberry crisp. Same style of setup too. Soooo good with ice cold milk.

grace said...

gorgeous, and so healthy--all that calcium from the butter works wonders. :) seriously, these are fabulous.

Katie said...

These look delicious. I love blueberries baked into things, it always seems to intensify their flavour.

A_and_N said...

The bars look really delicious! And like you said, this is a great alternative if one doesnt feel like making a pie :)

Anonymous said...

Sure looks good in the picture!!

Anonymous said...

I made these last Friday and everyone who has eaten them loves them! Thank you for the recipe.

:o) said...

These look absolutely delicious! I can't wait to try them!!! We are flying to Vancouver from Miami next week and I was looking for the perfect snack to make for the trip - I think I have found it!

Any packaging suggestions?

Anonymous said...

I made these for the "Back to School" Teacher luncheon - they were a HUGE hit! I wish I had gone with your advice of the double crust because the leftovers were a bit soggy! Will make them again this Saturday for my Candadian friends! Totally yummy! Love your site! Thanks.

Jessika said...

I made these last night with some frozen blueberries my mum picked. They're really good! In the crust I used 3/4 cup almond meal instead of part of the flour and it is delicious! I also reduced the butter in the topping and it still worked out really well. They're delicious! Thanks!

Unknown said...

We found it to sweet, any suggestions as to what we could omit. Thanks.
Other wise it is very good.