Monday, March 20, 2006

Pecan Sticky Buns

What do you make at 9pm on a Sunday night when your household is looking for a sweet treat? Nothing too involved, right? Well not at my house. We whip up homemade pecan sticky buns just like that. After much begging from Mr. CB and several incredulous looks from me as well as many "Are you serious?" statements, I relented and got the goods out and went to work with the promise of getting help in the kitchen. (When I did ask I got, "Really? I didn't actually mean help, you know?") Right.

Since I derive so much happiness from baking (because, you know, its an addiction), I kneaded, rolled, filled and baked until finally at 11pm we all got to enjoy warm, soft, sweet buns. I must admit, they were well worth the wait. The outside was crispy and the sugary-cinnamony goodness melted into the fluffy white dough. I had to make them in a round pan so they weren't exactly circular but no one seemed to mind. Once everyone had their fill they went to bed after much praise and thanks. I, however, stayed up waiting for them to cool so I could pack them away. The things you do for family. :)

If you're interested, the recipe is from The Clueless Baker by Evelyn Raab. The buns are made from a sweet dough filled with a basic butter, sugar cinnamon filling and topped with pecans, butter and brown sugar. Finding comarable recipes on the Internet should not be too hard or just use your own favourite family recipe. It's all good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I come and live in your house?

Anyone who makes homemade sticky buns at 9 pm is ok by me!

They look delicious!

Anonymous said...

So, no yeast? How interesting! And much simpler, too.

They look great. I'm surprised you had any left to wrap up!

Canadian Baker said...

Ivonne - Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad you don't think I'm crazy for giving into baking whims. :)

Tania - Yes, there is yeast (rapid variety)in the sweet dough recipe. They're all gone now - got packed into today's lunches. :)