Saturday, June 16, 2007

Custard-Topped Berry Kuchen

First, let me start out by saying there is no custard on this kuchen. I had a bit of a springform pan mishap in that it popped open when I took the kuchen out to pour on the custard and it wouldn't close. It just kept snapping open - I don't know why. So I sighed and scrapped the topping even though I was really looking forward to it.

Despite that little problem, this kuchen turned out to be a fluffy and moist berry cake all on its own. The lemon-scented batter is surrounded by juicy berries and with a sprinkle of icing sugar, makes a nice light dessert. The batter is make like most other cakes by creaming butter and sugar and then adding the wet and dry ingredients alternately. My mom really liked this cake and suggested that a scoop of ice cream would make it even better.

I have included the entire recipe and hopefully if you make it you'll be more successful than I in the making of the custard. :)

Recipe: Custard-Topped Berry Kuchen

12 comments:

Anh said...

I have bookmarked this one. Will have to try it out soon! Thanks for sharing!

Meryl said...

Yeah, those springform pans are a pain. I had the opposite problem. Years ago I made a specific devil's food layer cake for my husband's birthday, and one of the pans didn't release! What a mess.

Meryl said...

P.S. The cake looks great. Thanks for the recipe!

Canadian Baker said...

Anh - You're welcome!

Meryl - Thank you! I agree with you - hot cake and a pan that won't release is a recipe for disaster. :)

Cheryl said...

The picture of the inside of your kuchen is just perfect. That should be in a book. It looks amazing.

Rebuke said...

Wow, it looks so good. Amazing photography.
I've been looking back though your past entries and I just want to say that you rock ^_^ Your baking is absoloutly amazing, really inspiring. Great blog, I'll definatly be coming back :)

Sylvia said...

The cake looks wonderful.I will try soon make this cake.Beautiful blog,good recipes and amazing photos.

Canadian Baker said...

Cheryl, Rebecca & Sylvia - Thank you so much for your nice comments. I always love reading feedback from all of you out there - it is greatly appreciated!

Anonymous said...

This sounds (and looks) wonderful - even without custard!

I love when berry season arrives - so much more creative freedom with desserts!

Anonymous said...

hi there i live in melbourne australia and am 82 yrs old i have printed out your custard cake and the maple nut cake ..will get my grand daughter to get the berries fpr me during the week and when i make iti will let you know june[aussie]

Anonymous said...

Hi, Canadian baker. I made your berry kuchen today and I used strawberries instead of the berries and didn't bother with the custard topping. It turned out wonderfully-a moist crumb, not too sweet and very strawberry shortcake like. Very good indeed. Thanks, Mark in Toronto

Anonymous said...

I have made this several times and it's a winner. Easy to make, and you can use just about any combo of berries/fruit on it. I have tried similar tart/kuchen recipes and this one is my favorite.
I skipped the custard since the cake was so perfect.