Saturday, February 25, 2006

Weekend Sugar Cookies

Sugar cookies are always a fun project to do with kids. Since weekdays are busy, weekends are perfect for getting creative with the sprinkles. Sugar cookies are considered a roll cookie which means the batter needs time in the fridge so that it can be rolled out later. The tried-and-true recipe I used is from Canadian Living and is your basic sugar cookie that can be mixed either by hand or mixer. Once combined, the dough is wrapped, pressed into discs and refrigerated for 60 minutes.

After that, anything goes. You can cut the cookies into any shape you like. I used all the different types of sprinkles I had and made circles even though I have one of the big boxes of 100 cookie cutters in the basement. (Next time I'll haul them out.) The whole pile of circle cookies on the plate looked very uniform and appetizing since they were all uniquely decorated. I love watching everyone choose which one they want - it can be tough deciding between blue sparkles or red, you know. Bake for 11 (or so) minutes, grab some milk and watch these soft, sugary cookies disappear.

3 comments:

Michele said...

Beautiful cookies! I love your blog.

Canadian Baker said...

Michele - Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hi, do you have a link to the actual recipe rather than the Canadian living website?
Thanks