Sunday, February 26, 2006

Yogurt Bran Muffins

Muffins are ideal for packing in lunches. They're hearty, the variations are endless and they also freeze well so, in theory, you can have muffins all the time. The fantastic muffins I made are yogurt bran and come from Canadian Living. (The exact recipe is not on the website but there are many other bran choices.) The recipe is very easy to put together and the calls for 1 cup of yogurt and a hint of cinnamon. The batter is totally scoopable and has a light, springy texture. Adding raisins is a personal choice, so I put them in half and the rest I left plain just so everyone was happy.

The muffins baked for 20 minutes and are light and not cloying as some bran muffins can be. I especially like them because there is no molasses added which, I find, can make a bran muffin heavy and overly sweet. The bran lends subtle texture to the muffins and most people are pleasantly surprised that bran could taste this good.

No comments: