Monday, February 05, 2007

Orange Pound Cake

When its cold outside nothing makes a home feel warmer than turning on the oven and baking up something yummy. This was my situation on Saturday night. The winds were howling and the snow was blowing and all I had on hand were your basic baking ingredients - butter, eggs, flour and milk. What could I make with such a limited cupboard? Pound cake you say? Well, that's exactly what I did.

Pound cake seems to be a favourite of many people. It's firm texture and little crumb make it ideal for making into trifles or parfaits. It holds its own with a cup of tea even if it is plain and without adornment. It slices lovely and I hear is great eaten straight out of the freezer. Of course, it is an extremely accepting cake so add-ins such as chocolate chips or poppy seeds are most welcome.

I added orange zest to the cake I made and the flavour was light but detectable. It turned out moist and tasted exactly as pound cake should - golden and buttery. It may not be the fanciest recipe but is a keeper in my home and perfect for the novice baker.

Recipe: Orange Pound Cake

2 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

Your pound cake looks terrific!

I'm a big orange fan and love recipes with it.

Canadian Baker said...

Thanks Patricia! I also like citrus flavours in baked goods. :)