Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Overnight Buttermilk Coffeecake

Last night I felt like making cake. Just a simple coffee cake that could be made and baked in less than two hours. I looked in a couple of my books and found the perfect recipe in The Clueless Baker called Overnight Buttermilk Coffee Cake. It is called 'overnight' because the cake is able to be assembled the night before and baked in the morning in time for breakfast. I didn't wait until the next day and baked it immediately.

The cake came out moist and cinnamony and was latte coloured. The topping is a simple mix of brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon but no butter. It was sprinkled over the cake before baking. I found that I could have used less topping and next time I will sprinkle some in the cake between batter layers or just make less. It was crunchy and sweet so when taking a bite of cake, there was a mix of textures - soft cake and hard topping. I didn't mind this as it added character to the cake but, the cake alone would have sufficed. I would make this again for a quick sweet fix and the topping lends itself to almost any type of nut you have on hand - pecans, walnuts or almonds.

If you'd like to try it out, you can find the recipe on the Today's Parent website.

No comments: